Sunday, June 6, 2010

less than three days.

As I lie in bed at night, the comfort of my blankets around me; tears stream down my face. He leaves for two years in three days. Less than three days. Less than 72 hours. And he's gone. No talking to him, only weekly letters that aren't enough.
I've avoided this as long as possible. I've avoided talking about it in public for fear of sobbing. When the subject comes up, I simply state that I don't want to talk about it, and turn my head so they won't see my eyes begin to water.

There are so many things I will miss about Jaden. Little things that, up until lately, I hadn't noticed.
He often calls me Patrish. Apparently there was a crazy redhead lady at the school named patrish. Now, I've aquired the name. I like it, I'm not going to lie.
You will never find a boy who loves his nephews and niece so much. He is always willing to babysit and play with them. They all adore him.
Jaden is hysterical. Probably one of the funniest kids you will ever meet in your life.
He is ridiculous and genuinely kind.

When I was little and afraid of being kidnapped, he always knew the right things to say to me.
When I had lost confidence in myself, he was there to help me regain it.
When I was being a brat, he was there to tell me off. (I didn't always like this but i appreciated it in the end.)
Whenever I need him, he's there.

As children, we were best friends. The four year age difference didn't mean a thing to our friendship. Once, for my birthday, he gave me a bag of rocks. I was so excited. We have on film me opening it (with his help of course) and just bursting with excitement.

As the years went on, and he moved on to junior high while I stayed in elementary, our best friendship dwindled, and instead came bickering. But he still always cared, and I knew that.
I'll never forget, my first day of junior high, I came home to find him hanging out in the living room with some friends. He immediately asked me how it was.
After morp, I came home to find him chilling in the driveway. He didn't hesitate to ask how it was.

No matter who he is with, or what he is doing at that point in time, at night, when I say, "goodnight, love you." he always says it right back.

There are so many things I admire about Jaden. I admire all the things he has accomplished in his life, even if they weren't easy.

I could never explain in words how much Jaden means to me. He is the best big brother anyone could ask for.

I can't believe how fast the time has flown, from when he got his call, to now when I have less than 72 hours until he leaves. I am so proud of him. I know he will be an amazing missionary and will touch many lives with the gospel.

Missionary:
One who leaves their families for a short time so that others may be with theirs for eternity.

I love you Jaden. I'll be counting down the days.






2 comments:

johanna said...

This post brought tears to my eyes! I can really relate to you! You are amazing!

Anonymous said...

oops. i just commented on another post. i gave you that quote. but you already had it. haha its a good one though.