Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I just realized everything i have is someday gonna be gone.

on the eve of my adulthood, here i sit. i click shuffle on my phone.

never grow up -taylor swift.
it begins to play and my mind swirls with emotions and thoughts.
of all 1121 songs, this comes on first.
Taylor once said that it seems her life, and the lives of the fans are parallel. In this exact instant, they are.

tomorrow i will say goodbye to my entire childhood. I'll be able to sign weavers and go to jail.
adulthood seems frightening.

I seem to be stuck in a 14 year old trance. Sometimes, while i drive, i still ask myself if i'm allowed to. And each and everyday, i ask when i got to be so old.
"it's funny how day by day nothing changes but we look back and everything is different."

So i guess, with these 11 minutes left, I'll toast.
I'll toast to my pre-adult years.
I'll toast to junior high days past.
I'll toast to many a young womens.
I'll toast to first dates and driving.
I'll toast to summers filled with pools, tan skin, and a 4 year lifeguard crush.
I'll toast to good memories, and bad; may i remember them all.

& finally, a toast to a brand new adventures.

"Growing up is never easy. You hold onto things that were. You wonder what's to come. But that night, I think we knew it was time to let go of what had been, and look ahead to what would be. Other days. New days. Days to come. The thing is, we didn't have to hate each other for getting older, we just had to forgive ourselves for growing up"

2 comments:

ruthie.von said...

That last quote is mint. Happy Birthday :)

carlee ellen said...

love the last quote. its lovely. cheers to getting old - its not as fun as it seems.